Are you focusing on the important or the urgent right now?
In our obsession with productivity, it is never been easier to only work on the “urgent tasks.” It may even feel good to plow through your inbox and check off all of the items that get added onto your to-do list every week.
However, success is all about focus, execution, and prioritizing the important tasks.
The most important tasks are rarely urgent. They are the things that often get punted from one week to the next because they are hard, uncomfortable and maybe even a little scary,
Here are five more things worth reading this month.
- Have you ever wondered why some tech companies, such as Google, flourish and others never reach their full potential? I’ve been diving deep into the concept of OKRs (i.e. objectives and key results). This book is a must-read on the topic.
- I’m a huge remote work advocate, but one of the biggest challenges is creating a thriving company culture in a distributed team. This post has some excellent tips.
- What happens when you lose 90% of your organic search traffic? This company has every reason to be bitter but instead took the high road.
- If you try to appeal to everyone, you end up appealing to no one. Here is an example of a company that sells a commodity (water!) in an edgy way. You are either going to love them or you are going to hate them. That’s okay.
- I love rereading books as I always walk away with new insights or things to think about that I didn’t see the first time around. Sometimes, books don’t age well, like this one. Sidenote: I miss Google Reader.
Some things I wrote around the web
- In this post for Social Media Examiner, I share new research and insights that show what types of businesses are using IGTV, how they are using it and more.
- Should you record an audio version of each piece of content you produce? I ran an experiment and shared my findings in this mega case study.
Just For Fun
In other news, I’m still borderline obsessed with animal TikTok videos. Here are three of my favorite ones this month.
- From this hard-core puppy workout routine
- To these two dogs that teach us a valuable life lesson.
- And, elephant naps are the cutest.
An earlier version of this post went out to my email subscribers. If you want to get first dibs on what I’m reading and the occasional update (I never send more than 2 emails per month), subscribe below.